Eatonville dental is excited to now offer Silver Diamine Fluoride (SDF), which is a liquid used on cavities to stop the process of tooth decay. In some cases where dentists would have normally done a filling, it is now possible this non-invasive treatment to stop the process of tooth decay, and also reduce sensitivity.
<How does Silver Diamine Fluoride (SDF) work?
The silver ions act as an antimicrobial agent against the caries, while the fluoride ion acts to prevent further demineralization.
<Who is Silver Diamine Fluoride (SDF) indicated for?
- Kids 3 years and older,
- with cavities that have only penetrated the first layer of tooth (enamel layer)
- with a high risk of developing cavities
- for teeth that may be coming out within 3-6 months
- Adults can also benefit from Silver Diamine Fluoride (SDF) for carious lesions, to stop the progression, prevent secondary decay and reduce sensitivity carious lesions until they are able to restore their cavities.
- In these situations Silver Diamine Fluoride (SDF) will not be replacing all regular dental fillings. SDF is used to stop the progressions of the cavity and give you time before you choose to have it removed and filled.
<Is there a downside to Silver Diamine Fluoride?
- Silver Diamine Fluoride will stain demineralized areas, carious lesions, and soft tissue brown or black. It will not stain healthy teeth. For this reason, it is not recommended to use Silver Diamine Fluoride on front teeth as it will be very noticeable and look like stain.
- The Silver Diamine Fluoride treated tooth can still develop new cavities
- White fillings can be stained black by Silver Diamine Fluoride
- Just like anything in life, it is not 100% effective. It works 90% of the time when used twice a year.
<How long does Silver Diamine Fluoride last?
It is recommended to re-apply Silver Diamine Fluoride every 6 months.
At Eatonville Dental we are happy to offer Silver Diamine Fluoride (SDF) treatment for kids and even adults. If you think you or your child could benefit from this procedure please give us a call to schedule your appointment today! 416-233-0333.